May 22: Whitehorse to Watson Lake to Haines Junction to Kulane Lake

003009Well, we spent Tuesday night in Whitehorse, Yukon.  It is the capital of Yukon (I don’t know if it is still a territory or if it is now a province.)  There are only 30,000 people in all of Yukon and 20,000 live in Whitehorse.  The steamship Klondike offers tours, but we left about 6 AM.  The ship was used to take supplies and miners upriver.

021At Watson Lake we stopped to go through the Sign Post Forest.  It was started back in 1942 by one of the men who worked on the original Al-Can Highway.  There were 12 signs when he left, and now there are thousands from all over the world.  There were many from Texas, even one from Kerrville.

We ran out of gas about 8 miles out of Burwash Landing!!  Thank goodness Jerry had this one-gallon can he put in for the generator!  It’s always an adventure with us.  We made it into town to purchase some of their $7 per gallon gasoline and $5 cinnamon rolls.  Whew!  The scenery became spectacular after we left town.  I took several mountain pictures, but I am trying not to inundate people with my mountain pics.  This cop car was the only one we saw in Canada, but there’s no telling how many saw us.  (BTW:  The car is made of wood.)


After all the excitement, we decided to spend the night boondocking on the shore of Lake Kulane, the largest lake in the Yukon.  Most of it was still frozen, but there were inlets here and there that had thawed.  The Trumpeter Swans are making their nests in these areas.  The Canada geese were by the side of the road entering the lake area, and they looked like they couldn’t decide what they wanted to do.  Jerry broke through the ice with his hatchet and drew up some lake water which we heated in our solar bottles and used to take our baths. After that he made friends with “Jonathan Livingston”, a Bonaparte seagull.  You cannot really tell, but he’s quite large–about 14″ long with a wingspan of 33″.


Finally, Jerry pitted some cherries we bought along the way.  They are keeping him pretty close to camp, if you know what I mean.  The days are very long.  I woke up last night at 11:20 and it was still light outside!  I guess it looked more like 7PM to me. The long days keep the solar panels charging and we have not yet had to use our generator.  Living off the grid is not so bad after all.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: